ABC Electrical has worked in the electrical industry in Northern Ireland for over 20 years. Therefore, we have accrued a wide range of experience in both domestic and commercial settings. We often come into contact with customers who have experienced small home electrical faults. The issue, however, is that these customers don’t know the signs of a serious electrical fault in their homes.
Therefore, we have compiled a list of five commonly overlooked domestic electrical faults:
1. Flickering or Dimmed Lights
Light fixtures often flicker or dim without us even noticing. These issues are often sporadic and are arguably the most common domestic electrical faults. Flickering or dim lighting can be a sign of larger electrical faults in your home. Often, the backbone of the wiring is faulty and needs to be repaired or replaced.
At ABC Electrical, we advise our customers to be vigilant when dealing with lighting issues. Lighting issues centralised in the wiring are extremely dangerous. Therefore, you should always employ a trained electrician to resolve the issues you are experiencing. To reduce the risk of lighting electrical faults, we advise you to check the wattage of your lighting fixtures and lightbulbs. You should ensure all lightbulbs are of the correct wattage. If you don’t do this, you risk overriding your home electrical system.
ABC Electrical are proud to offer a variety of electrical services. If you are experiencing electrical faults at home, we encourage you to avail of our services. We can add, repair and upgrade indoor lighting fixtures. In addition to this, we also offer services catering to outdoor lighting. This includes security and garden lights, allowing you to keep your family safe and have fun all night long.
2. Dead or Broken Outlets
Due to the nature of our busy lives, we often come and go multiple times throughout the day without paying much attention at all. Imagine how many times a day you quickly grab your phone charger, do you ever notice the plug socket? In addition to this, if you notice a loose plug socket, do you think twice about it?
We are so busy throughout the day, that we often overlook these common signs that there are issues within your home electrical system. A loose outlet might appear harmless, but you can’t see what is going on underneath the surface. As you continuously move your loose plug sockets around, you are moving around the wires and behind-the-scenes electrical fixtures.
Issues with wiring can create several serious hazards. These include fire and electrical shock hazards, which can lead to serious injuries and even death. Luckily, these simple issues are easily fixed by an experienced electrician. Many people are tempted to fix their own electrical faults. However, they don’t know the signs of more serious problems that need to be investigated. ABC Electrical can offer a small electrical socket service to replace or repair broken plug sockets. If there is a more serious problem, we can carry out safety inspections and rewiring services in your home.
3. Hot Outlets
Again, due to our fast-paced lives, hot outlets are often overlooked and go unnoticed for extended periods. There are many misconceptions about electrical outlets and whether they should become hot. People often query whether it is normal for electrical fixtures that generate heat to become hot at the plug socket. However, the outlet itself should never become hot.
Hot outlets are serious health and fire hazard. We advise anyone who experiences this to turn their plug socket off and remove the plug immediately if they discover a hot outlet. There are many reasons why a plug outlet might overheat. These include wire corrosion, wetness or an overloaded socket. We also advise that you never attempt to inspect these outlets yourself. You should always contact a trustworthy, professional electrician to inspect and service your electrical fixtures.
4. Sags, Dips and Surges in Power
Many external factors might result in surges in electricity in your home. These include weather issues such as lightning, or wider issues with power lines. Surges often appear small, and that’s why our customers often overlook them. If you experience surges in power often, your electrical system can break down over time.
Sags and dips in power also seem small. However, these are often attributed to devices in your home or those connected to wider power sources. Electrical fittings that have been installed incorrectly are serious hazards. Therefore, if you experience sags, dips and surges in your electrical power often, we encourage you to contact a professional electrician.
5. Small Electrical Shocks
It (hopefully) goes without saying that you should never experience electrical shocks in your home, whether big or small. Any electrical shock should come as a reminder that improperly installed and used electrical fittings are extremely dangerous.
It is common for broken electrical fittings to cause a shock when they are being turned on or off. It is difficult to know at the time whether the issue is with the appliance or your electrical circuits. In any case, it is important to contact a qualified electrician for advice. From here, you can trust the opinion of an expert, and feel confident that your home and its electrical appliances are safe.
Look out for the signs of home electrical faults
If you notice any potential electrical faults in your home, do not hesitate to contact a member of our team. In any situation, whether big or small, we recommend that you discuss any issues with a professional, qualified electrician. Safety in your home is of utmost importance, so we do our best to ensure you stay safe.
If you require any advice or would like to get in touch with us about a potential electrical fault in your home, contact us. We are on-hand and happy to help our customers throughout the areas of Belfast, Armagh, Banbridge, Craigavon, Lurgan and Portadown.